收起左侧

[英文] 《The Sitters 》作者:- Clifford D Simak【EPUB】

关闭 [复制链接]

管理员 - 管理勋章超级版主 - 超级版主版主勋章 - 版主勋章

灰铜v1_03紫银v2_02绿金v1_01灰金v1_05绿银v1_01绿铜v3_01灵晶土豪紫铜v1_04紫铜v3_01

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-8-5 20:08 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
THE SITTERS Clifford D. Simak THE FIRST WEEK of school was finished. Johnson Dean superintendent of Millville High sat athis desk enjoying the quiet and the satisfaction of late Friday afternoon. The quiet was massacred by Coach Jerry Higgins. He clomped into the office and threw hismuscular blond frame heavily in a chair. quotWell you can call off football for the yearquot he said angrily. quotWe can drop out of theconference.quot Dean pushed away the papers on which he had been working and leaned back in his chair. Thesunlight from the western windows turned his silver thatch into a seeming halo. His pale blue-veined wrinkled hands smoothed out painstakingly the fading crease in hisfading trousers. quotWhat has happened nowquot he asked. quotIts King and Martin Mr. Dean. They arent coming out this year.quot Dean clucked sympathetically but somewhat hollowly as if his heart was not quite in it. quotLetme seequot he said. quotIf I remember rightly those two were very good last year. King was in theline and Martin quarterback.quot Higgins exploded in righteous indignation. quotWho ever heard of a quarterback deciding hewouldnt play no more And not just an ordinary boy but one of the very best. He made all-conference last year.quot quotYouve talked to them of coursequot quotI got down on my knees to themquot said the coach. quotI asked them did they want that I shouldlose my job. I asked is there anything you got against me. I told them they were letting downthe school. I told them we wouldnt have a team without them. They didnt laugh at me but -quot quotThey wouldnt laugh at youquot said Dean. quotThose boys are gentlemen. In fact all the youngstersin school -quot quotTheyre a pack of sissiesquot stormed the coach. Dean said gently quotThat is a matter of opinion. There have been moments when I also wasnt ableto attach as much importance to football as it seemed to me I should.quot quotBut thats differentquot argued the coach. quotWhen a man grows up naturally he will lose someinterest. But these are kids. This just isnt healthy. These young fellows should be out therepawing up the earth. All kids should have a strong sense of competition. And even if theydont theres the financial angle. Any outstanding football man has a chance when he goes tocollege -quot quotOur kids dont need athletic subsidiesquot said Dean a little sharply. quotTheyre getting morethan their share of scholastic scholarships.quot quotIf we had a lot more materialquot moaned Higgins quotKing and Martin wouldnt mean so much. Wewouldnt win too often but we still would have a team. But as it is - do you
插件设计:zasq.net

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋| ( Q群816270601 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 10:56 , Processed in 1.033478 second(s), 54 queries .